Do you need an inland waterway medical examination?
If you are active or employed in inland navigation, you are obliged to periodically undergo an inland waterway medical examination. As a skipper and inland shipping employee, you have to deal with health and safety risks. Your physical and mental health is of great importance to the performance of your job. At MediWerk you canschedule your inland waterway medical examination quickly and without waiting times. Our certified medical doctors carry out the inland waterway medical examination in accordance with the inspection guidelines of the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT).
When applying for a large boating licence or Rhine certificate (helmsman, skipper), a small boating licence (small commercial shipping, pleasure craft) or shift booklet (sailor), you must always be able to present an inland waterway medical certificate that shows that you meet the inspection requirements for inland navigation.
If you have a Boatmaster’s licence, Rhine patent, Seaman’s Book or small boating licence, you must comply with the same inspection requirements for inland navigation. For the Craft Operators Card, you do not generally need to be examined, and a completed personal statement will suffice. In case of doubt, contact our medical doctors obligation-free.
Here, you can schedule your inland waterway medical examination at an examination location of choice
- A valid ID
- Your glasses and/or contact lenses
- A clean container of urine
- Medication (if you use any) in original packaging
- Your Seaman’s Book (if in possession)
- A completed questionnaire. Click here for the questionnaire.
Contents of the inland navigation examination
Duration: 20 minutes
The examination consists of:
- Biometric testing: measuring height, weight, heart rate and blood pressure
- Vision test (far and near, and a colour-blindness test)
- Physical examination
- Urine sample test
- On medical grounds: blood test
Examination locations for inland waterway medical examinations
3115 JG Schiedam
2132 WT Hoofddorp
1786 PP Den Helder
Why MediWerk is the best place to arrange your inland waterway medical examination
- You have no waiting times at MediWerk
- We are available 24/7 (including weekends)
- We are OGUK/NOGEPA certified
- We are specialists in the offshore, marine & energy sectors
- You can park free of charge
Validity of inland waterway medical certificate
Your inland waterway medical examination is valid for a limited period only. The frequency of medical examinations depends, among other things, on the validity of your boating licence and your age. Oher criteria are the following:
- From the age of 50, the examination must take place every 5 years. From the age of 65, the examination must take place every year;
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card: an examination is required on first application for this licence. From the age of 65, the examination must take place every 3 years.
- The personal statement for senior citizens has been abolished. Seniors aged 70 and over were required to submit a personal statement every 5 years. This limitation of the validity period of the Pleasure Craft Operators Card has been abolished.
- If you do not sail the ship for which you need a Pleasure Craft Operators Card, you can postpone its renewal. You do not run the risk of having to take another exam;
- If you no longer sailing professionally, you can have your Rhine certificate or your Boatmaster’s licence converted by the VAMEX into a Pleasure Craft Operators Card.